Spring Fluency in a Flash Add-On for 4th Grade! This is a 2 week set of springtime themed reading fluency mini lessons for 4th Grade.
>>> This is a SEASONAL ADD-ON to our 4th Grade Fluency in a Flash bundle. <<<
Please note: You MUST have PowerPoint on a desktop device to use this resource. It is NOT compatible with Google Slides, Keynote, or Powerpoint for iPad. This resource is digital only and is not designed to be printed. The files will open directly into Powerpoint show mode to protect the complicated animations and links.
Save $$ by purchasing this resource in the 4th Grade Spring Fluency in a Flash Bundle (6 weeks) or the 4th Grade All Seasons Fluency in a Flash Bundle (18 weeks)!
What is Fluency in a Flash?
Fluency in a Flash is a brief, targeted routine for practicing reading fluency daily. Each day of the week focuses on a specific fluency skill and can be completed in 2 or 3 minutes.
Simply project the day’s lesson on your board (PowerPoint required) and guide your students through the activity. Offer feedback on how they’re reading and, if time allows, give them the opportunity to complete an extension activity and self-assess their reading fluency.
At the end of each day, we also offer a quick optional practice activity and an opportunity for students to self-assess how well they used the components of fluent reading.
We also include a paper-free teachers guide that can be easily accessed within the file as needed.
What does a week of 4th Grade Spring Fluency in a Flash look like?
- Monday – Syllable Segments: Students work with multi-syllable words to practice the word attack strategies of segmenting and blending. Syllables slide in on raindrops before a tractor (driven by a friendly pig!) reveals the whole word.
- Tuesday – What a Character: Students practice reading a short seasonal poem as a real-life opportunity to practice good phrasing and expression. They also have the opportunity to practice reading as different characters to make this fluency practice extra fun. Students can read in three seasonal styles each week: like the blowing wind, like a bear just waking up from hibernation, like a friendly frog, like someone who is bored with all the rain, like a little duck, and like a kite blowing in the wind!
- Wednesday – Watch Your Tone: Students practice reading the same sentence using tones that match different settings. This helps them focus on the subtler aspects of expressive reading. Three different spring scenes each week make these sentences take on a whole new meaning.
- Thursday – Crazy Conversations: Students create a conversation where the words are nonsense, but they must use the punctuation cues to add meaning to what they’re saying. Students will love having a nonsense word conversation between two kids on the farm and two kids caught in the rain.
- Friday – Riddles: Fluency and inferencing skills are applied as students practicing reading—and then solving—seasonal riddles. Spoiler alert: Set in a chicken coop on the farm, your students will love these spring riddles that enter the scene with two newly hatched chicks!
What does 4th Grade Spring Fluency in a Flash contain?
This set contains 2 WEEKS of fun Spring themed fluency practice!
Looking for more Fluency resources? Check out all our fluency resources.